Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: What features could Thi4f borrow from other games?

What features could Thi4f borrow from other games?

For example, I think the kicking the enemies á la Dark Messiah would be a nice touch to keep enemies at a distance if you are fleeing and someones in your way.

Any other things you can think of?

I'll go totally eccentric and say Thief must steal things from Thief.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
    Whenever I see people do this, I can never tell if they're being ironic, or really that clueless.

Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Whenever I see people do this, I can never tell if they're being ironic, or really that clueless.
    It's really like the IonStorm forums all over again!

Same ol' same ol'. I wouldn't expect anything different, and I wouldn't ask questions you already know the answer to, unless you're being rhetorical, or yes, intentionally ironic.

Other games should borrow from Thief :P
    I guess I'm an old fashioned purist. I just want T4 to be the true sequel to TMA. That'd make me happy. And rope arrows. Rope arrows make me happy.
    "Where are you, you, taffer?"

Originally Posted by Lost Taffer
    Other games should borrow from Thief :P
    After playing thief, I really didn't understand why EVERY GAME that had a hint of the ability to sneak didn't use the same system. Even in an action shooter, why do they know I'm there INSTANTLY if I cross that 50 foot marker... they should have to hear or see me first - it's that simple. While other games don't have a light gem, I'd be willing to judge shadows and hope they're deep enough in other non-FPSneaker games.

(I do know now, don't tell me about development time and complex algorithms that made thief sneaking style possible)
    signature image
    signature image

Rope arrows make me happy.
    Totally with you on this one!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I mentioned in another thread one of the interesting things that Splinter Cell Conviction is doing that will soon become a staple in most games being released is to play a pre-rendered movie or cutscene for the player while the game is loading the level that you're about to play.

Fantastic idea that really makes alot of sense and should definitely be implemented into Thief 4 IMO

I'm a bit to of a "purist" and I'd love Eidos to look for those developments of T4 that are perfectly in tune with the history of the game. Taking ideas from other games' features might be good in an early stage of research, where they constitute mainly provocations to stretch new ideas capabilities, but to apply other games bits and bob "just like that" on the base that in those games they actually worked I think it's idiotic and I have far too much respect for Eidos Team Work to think that they need to do that.

P.S.
    By the way, Viktoria, I dunno if already there is in the forum this statistic, but would it be possible to run a survey among us fun of the Thief series where we are segmented between long term players and new comers and where each category expresses its preference to see more developed in the T4:
    1) Game Script
    2) Fantasy / Surreal Worlds / Visuals
    3) Navigation / Features / Technology
    Just to verify which macro areas new and old players prefer.
    I'd do it, but dunno how!
    Cheers!
    "If I were Empress do u know what I'd do? I'd cut everybody's heads off!"

Originally Posted by kabatta
    I'll go totally eccentric and say Thief must steal things from Thief.
    Haha, good one. Best suggestion to date.

Originally Posted by VIKTORIA
    Rope arrows make me happy.
    Totally with you on this one!
    I like, vine arrows

Originally Posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo
    I mentioned in another thread one of the interesting things that Splinter Cell Conviction is doing that will soon become a staple in most games being released is to play a pre-rendered movie or cutscene for the player while the game is loading the level that you're about to play.

Fantastic idea that really makes alot of sense and should definitely be implemented into Thief 4 IMO
    Excellent stuff! A must have (like new fashion).

Far be it from me to question your apparent ability to predict the future with perfect accuracy, but I think I'd much rather have a game dedicate 100% of its I/O bandwidth to loading the frickin' level, instead of splitting it between level loading and streaming video.

Originally Posted by Psychomorph
    Excellent stuff! A must have (like new fashion).
    Ha! I see what you did there.

Ha! I see what you did there.
    My reply came off more sarcastic than I intended, I actually like the idea, if it doesn't use to many resources.

Except Call of Duty 4-5-6 and Call of Juarez 2 have something like this already.

Got to be Mario Carts.

(yes, I know most of you've seen it many times)

Originally Posted by Namdrol
    (yes, I know most of you've seen it many times)
    Not me

Oh god who in their right mind uploads a renamed BMP file as a JPG?

Alone in the Dark:
    nifty flames,
    inventory system (but larger)
    Item creation system.

everything else was not so good.

Originally Posted by Namdrol
    Got to be Mario Carts.
    ....I love those shots.

Someone who wants to piss off ZylonBane...

Originally Posted by 3edere
    I'm a bit to of a "purist" and I'd love Eidos to look for those developments of T4 that are perfectly in tune with the history of the game. Taking ideas from other games' features might be good in an early stage of research, where they constitute mainly provocations to stretch new ideas capabilities, but to apply other games bits and bob "just like that" on the base that in those games they actually worked I think it's idiotic and I have far too much respect for Eidos Team Work to think that they need to do that.

P.S.
    By the way, Viktoria, I dunno if already there is in the forum this statistic, but would it be possible to run a survey among us fun of the Thief series where we are segmented between long term players and new comers and where each category expresses its preference to see more developed in the T4:
    1) Game Script
    2) Fantasy / Surreal Worlds / Visuals
    3) Navigation / Features / Technology
    Just to verify which macro areas new and old players prefer.
    I'd do it, but dunno how!
    Cheers!
    There have been a few polls about old vs. new fan comparisons. Even just reading the threads one will see a fairly consistent pattern of thought. There have been, and will continue to be, thread after thread discussing those topics you listed. You could start threads yourself, if you can't find an existing one that gives you the answers you seek, as long as what you want us to discuss is easily understood so it has a direction to go.

Thanks jtr7 but I was actually thinking of collecting a quantitative result. I've seen there are kind of "vote here if..." and "vote there if..." and from experience perception for opened discussions can sometimes be proved wrong or be re-dimensioned by clear cut surveys. The only thing is I don't know how to actually set 1 up.

Ctrl T, Alt B
    TTLG
    Thief IV anticipation.
    What's your Thi4f nightmare?
    Find post with pictures.
    Right click, copy image location.
    Back to Eidos.
    In quick reply box click on image icon.
    Ctrl V,
    Repeat last 4 steps.
    Anticipate Zylon Bane making sneering comment, so write cowardly half arsed caveat.

Zylon Bane makes sneering comment anyway.
    Well, at least we know all is right in the world.

Originally Posted by 3edere
    Thanks jtr7 but I was actually thinking of collecting a quantitative result. I've seen there are kind of "vote here if..." and "vote there if..." and from experience perception for opened discussions can sometimes be proved wrong or be re-dimensioned by cleat surveys. The only thing is I don't know how to actually set them up.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php...#faq_vb3_polls
    You can only make a poll after you've reached a number of posts made on the forums. I can't remember how many that is. You'll know if you've reached that point when the option becomes available to you. The polls only allow 10 choices, so you should design a set of questions before starting the thread, as unbiased as possible. I would suggest beginning with only a couple of the items on your list, since the voting options will fill up quick if there are too many variables.

Thumbs Up

Thank you so much!

Far be it from me to question your apparent ability to predict the future with perfect accuracy, but I think I'd much rather have a game dedicate 100% of its I/O bandwidth to loading the frickin' level, instead of splitting it between level loading and streaming video.
    So you'd rather sit and watch a movie and then watch the loading screen, rather than watch a movie while the game loads so you can play once the movie finishes?

Wow....you are more stubborn and opposed to change than I thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last