Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last

Thread: What features could Thi4f borrow from other games?

What features could Thi4f borrow from other games?

Originally Posted by huzi73
    Except Call of Duty 4-5-6 and Call of Juarez 2 have something like this already.
    I haven't played call of juarez, but it's a recent Ubisoft game, so it makes sense that they implemented it in that.

And now that you mention they did have it CoD 4 and 5.

Still an awesome development that adds alot to the immersion of a game.

Hmm I dont know if "borow" is the right word. Steal maybe? Push enemies when you run like in assassins creed. It could be useful if a guard spotted you and is chasing you down the street and its many people in the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8CVA...eature=related
    Bring back the bow upgrade. *gives the fist of wrath*
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Heh heh heh.

Originally Posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo
    Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Far be it from me to question your apparent ability to predict the future with perfect accuracy, but I think I'd much rather have a game dedicate 100% of its I/O bandwidth to loading the frickin' level, instead of splitting it between level loading and streaming video.
    So you'd rather sit and watch a movie and then watch the loading screen, rather than watch a movie while the game loads so you can play once the movie finishes?

Wow....you are more stubborn and opposed to change than I thought.
    Blame TDS!!

Originally Posted by kabatta
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8CVA...eature=related
    Bring back the bow upgrade. *gives the fist of wrath*

Ok, brace yourself for a stupid question:

Was this a mod? Or was it an easter egg? or was it a hoax?

Coz I damn well tried to kill a lotta zombies in the bonehoard using that fire arrow trap!!!

Originally Posted by huzi73
    Ok, brace yourself for a stupid question:

Was this a mod? Or was it an easter egg? or was it a hoax?

Coz I damn well tried to kill a lotta zombies in the bonehoard using that fire arrow trap!!!
    hoax

I was practically on the verge of reinstalling TDP again just for this.

You should reinstall it anyway.

yep, plus there's a ton of fan missions for it

Originally Posted by jtr7
    You should reinstall it anyway.
    Currently sneaking through Cragscleft (again).

Originally Posted by esme
    yep, plus there's a ton of fan missions for it
    Mmmh, nice.

You voted for Obama, didn't you?
    "Where are you, you, taffer?"

So you'd rather sit and watch a movie and then watch the loading screen, rather than watch a movie while the game loads so you can play once the movie finishes?

I don't think you realize it cannot be done well for a real game, and it will lag both the loading and video. Loading the mission as quickly as possible is pretty much commonly desired, as well as smooth playing videos. One after the other is best until systems are so fast, there is no discernible choking. Again, not fear of change...fear of bad change. Fear of decisions that affect performance, and there's nothing irrational about it.

As the mission loads, the video playback has less and less resources to work with. A mission the size of what a lot of us would like to see, including more interiors and items within, more world details than we've ever seen, and so on, should really be given the priority. Playing the videos between missions would allow for better videos than we've ever seen in a Thief game, too. It's just better, at this point in tech evolution and the realities of the range of systems consumers have, to dedicate all resources to one or the other. So, if a mission can load while a hi-res video is playing, then the mission has room to grow and have more details, which I'd rather have.

I know we're kinda running out of things to talk about, but... come on... speculating about whether load times are going to be such that simultaneously running the briefing video and loading will be faster or slower than video followed by loading? Come on guys!
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

Originally Posted by ToMegaTherion
    I know we're kinda running out of things to talk about, but... come on... speculating about whether load times are going to be such that simultaneously running the briefing video and loading will be faster or slower than video followed by loading? Come on guys!
    Yeah, we've got much more important matters to discuss. Like what shade of black we think Garrett's cloak should be
    Procrastination is the Thief 4 forum

Originally Posted by ToMegaTherion
    I know we have cyclical dry spells for topics, but to expect any detail to be left out of discussion is unreasonable as most of what we discuss is irrational wishful-thinking and time-filler, and expecting it to get any better is bass-ackwards thinking. There's no way to sustain discussion above a certain level for years, let alone weeks. But you are right on schedule with the cycle of someone making that exact kind of statement.

Nothing's off-limits and no stone will be left unturned. These niggling topics will give way to better ones and back and forth. You know, it'll have all the marks of humans discussing things to death and then some.

I think we could do with an off-topic thread or something to entertain ourselves with when things are getting dry. I mean, I don't mind inconsequential discussion at all, but debating something we can't possibly know anything about is a little much even for me.
    Follow the fortunes of the Thi4f Forum!

I would really like to see some good uses of physics in the game, like for solving puzzles in Half-Life 2

For instance in Thief, dropping boxes or vases onto guards heads to knock them out, maybe even be able to push guards over balconys...Also setting fire to stuff to cause a distraction could be a possibility.

I don't think you realize it cannot be done well for a real game, and it will lag both the loading and video. Loading the mission as quickly as possible is pretty much commonly desired, as well as smooth playing videos. One after the other is best until systems are so fast, there is no discernible choking. Again, not fear of change...fear of bad change. Fear of decisions that affect performance, and there's nothing irrational about it.

As the mission loads, the video playback has less and less resources to work with. A mission the size of what a lot of us would like to see, including more interiors and items within, more world details than we've ever seen, and so on, should really be given the priority. Playing the videos between missions would allow for better videos than we've ever seen in a Thief game, too. It's just better, at this point in tech evolution and the realities of the range of systems consumers have, to dedicate all resources to one or the other. So, if a mission can load while a hi-res video is playing, then the mission has room to grow and have more details, which I'd rather have.
    You don't think I understand? "For a real game"? What are you talking about? Your point is completely invalid and arrogance is quite absurd.

Fear for decisions that affect performance? How can this affecting performance? You would have no idea if it was affecting performance. How *could* you know? You would be watching a story relevant scene/clip/movie and the level will be perfectly loaded once you're finished watching it.

It surely will mean longer loading times, at the cost of loading the visuals, but it would simply override the wait time of the loading process and would completely remove any load breaks in play that are forced upon the player, thus improving immersion in a game.

Levels are not going to be so huge in this game that they demand massive amount of CPU power to load efficiently, to do so goes beyond the levels of practicality.

Somehow jtr7, I think you are not going to be happy with any new aspect or idea that Thief 4 throws up.

I really cannot see the downside to this idea, unless the developers screw it up so royally that the game forgets to load half the level, which frankly, is really NOT how you should be constructively thinking about improvements to any franchise.

It surely will mean longer loading times, at the cost of loading the visuals, but it would simply override the wait time of the loading process and would completely remove any load breaks in play that are forced upon the player, thus improving immersion in a game.
    How the hell can playing a video while the mission LOADS improve immersion? Unless theres in-mission loading, (a la TDS..) I simply cannot fathom how on earth pre mission load outs will have "improved immersion" if a video plays while the mission loads. Immersion is something we want in-game. The last thing i want in THI4F is my loading to be immersive. So what? Big deal, you'll have to look at a bar go from empty to full at the start of every mission. As I stated in an earlier post, people are making a mountain out of a mole hill about a video playing while a mission loads. Past games have done this, and it hasnt increased or decreased their respective ratings in the least. I simply cant understand now why all the buzz just because SC:C has this feature. Will THI4F have it or not?

I DONT CARE!

To assume even half the systems out there when the game comes out would be able to both load a huge mission map (it WILL take longer than ever to load, especially with a movie playing), and play a movie without stuttering or slowing anything down is egregiously, meaninglessly optimistically, unrealistically, misinformed or asking once again for something better to be taken down a couple notches in quality. The movie resolution will have to be pathetically small, and the movie-player made very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRhDV3VKrLE

Oh god, it's another gimmick, and how the hell is that immersive to have a movie projected all around that you can't give full attention to while playing the game, and with swooping cameras that are not the player? It's a tech trick and it would be horrible for Thief. Assassin's Creed 2 has movies that take over from the player as well as automated moves. It's a different kind of brain that can feel a part of a character they are not controlling so much of the time. WTF?

Since each of Thief's missions are different and take place on different days, weeks, months, it makes no sense to have them run all together. I loved the break between missions, with a briefing slide show, and a movie following every ACT of the three-part story structure. It's a nice save point, and it allows the art, acting, and sound design to create the new mood for the new mission in the new locale. It's a commercial break without any product being sold but the game itself. Overlapping visuals is something I frikkin' can't stand. It's more console light show crap. The scene is so busy, they have to make bright, blurry, visual anomalies to get your attention or help the eye find something. It's fast, it's rushing, and it's imposing on all the other players who actually like the non-action of the games, which Thief is based on. Slow down and leave Thief out of the busy flurry action tropes Thief radically and boldly departed from. Leave Thief's signatures and special voice intact.

@huzi73: Ah would it not improve immersion? I believe immersion is broken when you feel "Oh ya, I'm playing a video game" and become detached from the game with a momentary lull in story or gameplay.

What I'm suggesting feeds the player through the transition of one gameplay scenario by overlapping it with story telling devices in the form of a pre rendered video that is going to be playing ANYWAY, it just plays while the game loads, so that when it's finished playing, the player starts the next map without having to stare at the loading bar and go "Oh, ya, I'm playing a video game"

To assume even half the systems out there when the game comes out would be able to both load a huge mission map (it WILL take longer than ever to load, especially with a movie playing), and play a movie without stuttering or slowing anything down is egregiously, meaninglessly optimistically, unrealistically, misinformed or asking once again for something better to be taken down a couple notches in quality. The movie resolution will have to be pathetically small, and the movie-player made very well.
    You have no grounds to say any of these things. This is extremely biased opinion. You have not a single fact to base any of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRhDV3VKrLE

Oh god, it's another gimmick, and how the hell is that immersive to have a movie projected all around that you can't give full attention to while playing the game, and with swooping cameras that are not the player? It's a tech trick and it would be horrible for Thief. Assassin's Creed 2 has movies that take over from the player as well as automated moves. It's a different kind of brain that can feel a part of a character they are not controlling so much of the time. WTF?

Since each of Thief's missions are different and take place on different days, weeks, months, it makes no sense to have them run all together. I loved the break between missions, with a briefing slide show, and a movie following every ACT of the three-part story structure. It's a nice save point, and it allows the art, acting, and sound design to create the new mood for the new mission in the new locale. It's a commercial break without any product being sold but the game itself. Overlapping visuals is something I frikkin' can't stand. It's more console light show crap. The scene is so busy, they have to make bright, blurry, visual anomalies to get your attention or help the eye find something. It's fast, it's rushing, and it's imposing on all the other players who actually like the non-action of the games, which Thief is based on. Slow down and leave Thief out of the busy flurry action tropes Thief radically and boldly departed from. Leave Thief's signatures and special voice intact.

God, you're blind or purposely being ignorant.

The whole point is that the cutscenes/clips that you love would be playing while the game was loading. They would be extended versions that would match the loading times for the next level and when they were finished you'd immediately start in the next mission/location/load out screen

Never once did I mention projected movies or fancy light shows. That's just your own ignorant purist voice in your head telling you that.

On the subject of old vs. new fan preferences:

I've played since the release of TDP, and I would like to see some of this elitist "Any deviation from the T1 / T2 formula is bad! Destroy! Destroy!" mentality disappear. Trapping the game in the late-90's from whence it came would be bad for the franchise, and would hardly be in keeping with the ideals of groundbreaking and innovation that Looking Glass Studios certainly displayed when they released the original.
    signature image

It would help if you understood what we are saying when we refer to the older titles, and to notice what we like about TDS, and the new things we'd like to see for the first time in Thief 4. And then you might realize the mentality is not what you thought it was. We're forward-looking, and all you need to do is see that.

TDS took steps backward and so the first order of things is to step it forward to what the older titles did better, and then, with the restored foundation, go beyond the trilogy into new territory. And when I say "new" I mean not seen in mainstream games, nothing copied over from the mass market for profits' sake and coolness factor at the expense of what makes Thief unique.

Originally Posted by xAcerbusx
    On the subject of old vs. new fan preferences:

I've played since the release of TDP, and I would like to see some of this elitist "Any deviation from the T1 / T2 formula is bad! Destroy! Destroy!" mentality disappear. Trapping the game in the late-90's from whence it came would be bad for the franchise, and would hardly be in keeping with the ideals of groundbreaking and innovation that Looking Glass Studios certainly displayed when they released the original.
    Well said!

@jtr7: With all of these comments it really just sounds like you want a re-hash of Thief 2 with updates graphics, bigger more detailed levels and a smoother engine.

Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last