Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Thief 4 Forum Q&A: When the devs talk...

Thief 4 Forum Q&A: When the devs talk...

Question Thief 4 Forum Q&A: When the devs talk...

When the developers release more info on the new Thief 4 game, what information would you want to be released?

For me it is:
    • Will the player play as Garrett?
    • If so, will he still be voiced by Stephen Russel?
    • Is Thief 4 a sequel, a prequel or a middle-in-between-TDS-never-happened-quel?
    • and release some decent artwork please!

What will be your list?
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Nice idea. I would like to know

--> to what extend they do come here
    --> if they have taken some of the ideas here in serious consideration and/or which of these ideas really influenced their work

As FriendlyStranger said, I also would like to know how much influence we have over the decisions over at EM. I mean if they don't even read this or take any of this into consideration, this forum serves absolutely no purpose at all. All I've heard from EM that relates to this forum is the fact that they set it up.
    GIVE US A SIGN!

Also I'd like to add to my list that I want to know on which platforms the game is going to be published on. There where some rumors about a new console, but I don't really care. I just want to see the game on the PC at least!

@ jtr7: How big is your thief archive anyways? What do you store in that database of yours?
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

I'd like a pdf document where all the details are written, no exception.
    Surripio ergo sunt.

The more the merrier, I say. Then at least we will have something to work with and can (hopefully) provide sound feedback on the development process. It would be nice to see the fans organized and consolidated enough that when this process starts to happen, the majority of fans are ready with a well thought out response. I think the power to influence the development process is within our reach as long as we stand united and not succumb to personal bickering. There could even be a loose form of interaction or consulting with the many experienced and devoted taffers if organized properly. Since this would be a free and valuable resource for EM, I would be surprised if they did not want to take advantage of this.

Specifics interest me less; I'd surely like to see Garrett reprised with Stephen Russell at the mic, but if it can't be it can't be. I'd quite like them to announce a dev blog/project diary however.

to what extend they do come here
    As far as I am aware no member of the development team (sorry Rene, you're a drummer not a musician) has ever openly posted, contributed or attempted to initiate discussion in these forums.

I'd like a pdf document where all the details are written, no exception.
    I'm a firm subscriber to the idea that documents are written for an intended audience, and are less meaningful to an unintended audience.

will i have trusty blackjack with me that doesnot suck like it did in TDS?
    will knocked out guards reAweken while I'm on mission?
    Violence - Easy, Effective, Practical. Technology of the future!

I wanted to Sticky this thread but we have enough of those for now. But I will remember this one!

Originally Posted by René
    I wanted to Sticky this thread but we have enough of those for now. But I will remember this one!
    For easy reference later, Rene, I have added link to this thread in "Keeper Diary" thread.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I do hope the Devs include us in some of their internal debates. Our discussions may offer up some interesting possibilities.

For a public release i really want to see screen shots or a small video of how the game is coming along. It would be fantastic to know if Garrett and/or Stephen Russell is coming back as well. Just more details on the game.

A new title look....

The intended audience of documentation are not the only ones who would find such articles fascinating. There are more than you know who would be interested in them to varying degrees, not just the few like me who comb over it all.
    Do you know what, I kind of regretted writing what I did. It's one of those occasions where I could have just let it pass. It's a little bit naive of Kabatta to suggest that we should see the design docs because a) it ain't gonna happen and b) we wouldn't know what to do with them anyway, c) we don't know the practicalities, politics, legal obligations, status of contractual negotiations or anything, d) there'd be a riot because someone would have done a doodle with Garret with a scar on the wrong eye and e) it might say nasty things about us. But so what? - there are worse sins than being a bit naive and it just didn't need me being a bit terse with him. If it came up I was going to apologise for being unnecessary, brief and dismissive.

Kabatta, I apologise for being snappy at you for your request for design docs. It was a bonkers request no doubt, but there's too much sniping on these boards already without me adding to it.

You must have missunderstood me. I said I want a pdf doc where we get details on what will be implemented in-game, art, etcetera, graphic engine and the lenght it is worked upon. I just want to greedely know every little dirty detail until the game comes out. I'm just that nasty. :P
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Whoever gets to interview them next I want them to ask:

"will you be keeping the core aspects of the classic Thief gameplay that have kept players hooked for almost 10 years?"

And I suppose you've seen many design docs from commercial games 18 months before release. Among other things, do you think it may contain spoilers?

Okay... speaking from someone who worked on a MMORPG professionally, (won't go into the details, since it hasn't come about yet and likely never will) the design doc IS the game. Everything regarding the game, from the plot, to the engine being used, to what is being worked on when. This document usually is a gigantic spreadsheet, and can be hundreds of pages long. It's the master reference source for anything the developers need to know about the game they're making.

Note that this document is constantly updated and changed, even after release of the game. So, asking for the design doc to be released before the game... well, for starters, there's the legal ramifications.

Now, a pdf file of what the devs are releasing to the public... that's a good idea.

I'm pointing this out so that we all understand what we're talking about... making our definitions, so to speak. Which gives me an idea...

Squid
    I speak to you now of the fall of giants, the passing of ages, the burial of heroes, the death of kings.

I think we should all agree that our inner child bursts with impatience and our fingers itch to play the new game. Personally I feel like a fat kid in front of an oven: "is it done yet? what abouth now?"
    Surripio ergo sunt.

Obviously any info is good. I think I'd like some confirmation that they visit here, and if not agree, at least understand some of the concerns on ALL sides of the various arguments.
    The won't be able to please everybody, but I do hope that they don't completely alienate any of the various viewpoints.

Some of the problems the dev team has faced and have had to overcome during development.

Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar
    Some of the problems the dev team has faced and have had to overcome during development.
    what development?

I just hope they release as much info as possible so we have ourself some discussion material.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

I want honesty above all else. Sounds simple doesn't it? Yet the amount of over-promises, over-hype and other clap-trap Devs will come out with is beyond despicable. Eidos Montreal never forget that honesty is the way! Also, that way if the game fails then you cant be blamed for over-hyping it and coming out with too many promises.

Originally Posted by dark_angel_7
    I want honesty above all else. Sounds simple doesn't it? Yet the amount of over-promises, over-hype and other clap-trap Devs will come out with is beyond despicable. Eidos Montreal never forget that honesty is the way! Also, that way if the game fails then you cant be blamed for over-hyping it and coming out with too many promises.
    They won't care what we think of the game or how much they are blamed for over-hyping after we've bought it. Its too late for us then - they've pocketed the cash. They will likely chase sales in the first couple of months and after that they don't care what happens to it. In fact they would probably benefit if we wanted to put it away and buy another. LGS actually seemed to want to make a great game. It rarely happens any more.

I have so little faith in this its depressing but I hope I'm completely wrong.

Originally Posted by PJMaybe
    I have so little faith in this its depressing but I hope I'm completely wrong.
    I hope so too.
    It's all about labeling bad unpolished games as "extremely kickin' awesome!". which is just a way to get more money out of people. I hope EM understands that if they make the game perfect, all this jibba jabba isn't needed at all. The word will spread itself.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Anything would be good.Thi4f just isn't enough to discuss.
    A teaser maybe?

all i wanna see is a gameplay trailer and artwork/screenshots which will be a while to come

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last