Thread: Hammerite Game?

Hammerite Game?

Hammerite Game?

So here is something that crossed my mind the other day whilst talking with a friend. A Hammerite game. This is just totally an abstract thought I don't even know if it belongs in this forum but I'm hopping people will be receptive to this idea. I'm a long time fan of the Thief series and have always though while not my cup of tea the Technocratic society of the hammers is really interesting. I think it would be awesome to see a game where actually played like a hero of the Hammerite clan. I mean the possibilities are actually pretty interesting. It would be a total mirror of the thief games. You could carry a hammer and build things to smite your foes. I think it would be pretty interesting. I know this is funny and all but humor me here. I would love to see what kind of adventure a Hammer would go on. I mean lets face it their pretty hardcore. And despite their fanaticism they've never struck me as particularly evil they to tend to have the best intentions even though their way to heavy handed. It would have to take place outside the city in some untamed wild area it would sort of work like a crusade into pagan territory. Opinions anyone?

Perfect for an FM, if we can get the SDK/Editing tools and they have a decent learning curve. Or if ID could release an OpenSource for the Doom 3 engine, so most taffers could play the FM made with the Dark Mod/Dark Radiant software.

The Hammerites are quite popular in the FM-fan community. I do believe there's at least one FM where you play as a Hammerite, but it's not on the scale you are thinking of.

the only thing is like how would you deal with the construction element I mean that's what Hammers do it wouldn't be complete without the ability to construct and build somewhat abstract weapons and tools etc

Well, even Garrett could make stuff with the smelter and molds. The Hammerite player character would have to be specialized for a task. The Hammerites have smiths and wallbuilders and inventors and welders, so the PC could be given puzzles to use those skills to meet goals without it seeming like the player is pretending to be a factory worker. Reforging hammers to head into battle...

hmm this is developing into an interesting concept I may do this lol

sounds kind of neat, the whole idea of the hammerites is to build, building entails being creative, i could see this being pretty awesome with the right programming

This would be really good.
    I think Thief IV should has a "specials" option. Artworks, making of Thief IV video etc. And a huge Hammerite mission. When we finished the game, mission has been unlocked.
    Of course these are extra addings. First things first. (So, the game is first. )
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

maybe going to jail I'll be sure to loot up and bring back souvenirs anyway build on sneaksies keep the thread alive

That...doesn't sound...good.

I hope it's only for research purposes...

well I wouldn't say it wasn't research purposes entirely might not have been a hammer but a smote an evil one with a crowbar he was beating a little dog with a beer bottle he was messed up on some drugs either way he attacked me first but me well being me don't favor the police so he called them first they showed up called it self defense searched him for drugs and sent me on my merry way to smite more vile ones in the name of the builder lol okay so that's going in the FM if I make this I swear lol oh yea I'm obviously not going to jail lol

yeah i think i'd like an extended FM or something similar involving the Hammerites
    ~GO PITTSBURGH PENGUINS!~
    ~Experience the Evolution~
    www.pittsburghpenguins.com
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...er/MattMan.jpg

Yeah, fan-made only, not AAA, else I cut my wrists.
    Can't spell Stealth without Steal...

That would be cool. I have always wanted to play as a hammerite. Being a hammer I think it would be harder to move silently(due to what they wear and their weight as well as lack of skill) and you would be more visible in light(with the armour and all the red) as well as not being able to use lockpicks due to lack of skill and being a total noob when it comes to locks(unless you were a hammer which made locks) Stealth should still be possible just alot harder not being Garret an all. Fan made only. Takes time and effort to implement otherwise. I would play this if someone made it for theif 4.

Hammerites aren't about stealth at all. It wouldn't be anything like Thief, except for the style and elements of that universe. You would be a fanatically-religious policeman, cleansing small pockets of sin from The City (they are tolerant of the overall sinful nature of the populace), making examples of people, and capturing or Flattening pagans. In the meantime, you would be an industrious construction worker, factory worker, engineer, inventor, craftsman, and whatever vocation of Builder-worship to which the work of your hands applies, and a Smiter of Undead.

I am attempting to commence work on the Hammerite mission. Sadly I no longer have my disk copy of TMA. So I no longer have a copy of Dromed. If anybody knows where I may attain a copy of Dromed via the webernet this would be very much a useful thing. lol

do you mean you want to play the fan mission I posted ?

if so you need TMA installed not dromed as it uses darkengine and the resources from TMA, if you can't play TMA on your machine then you can't play the fan missions for TMA, you only need dromed if you are going to build your own mission

and I'd suggest downloading darkloader to install the fan mission

you may also need the extra scripts installed from Nameless Voice, Telliamed & GayleSaver available from http://thiefmissions.com/scripts/ they are just files you drop into the Thief directory any fan missions that use them will then pick them up automatically

Originally Posted by Humphery Kynaston
    I am attempting to commence work on the Hammerite mission.
    That's confusing if he's not really wanting the editor.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    Hammerites aren't about stealth at all. It wouldn't be anything like Thief, except for the style and elements of that universe. You would be a fanatically-religious policeman, cleansing small pockets of sin from The City (they are tolerant of the overall sinful nature of the populace), making examples of people, and capturing or Flattening pagans. In the meantime, you would be an industrious construction worker, factory worker, engineer, inventor, craftsman, and whatever vocation of Builder-worship to which the work of your hands applies, and a Smiter of Undead.
    I don't mean make it like a stealth game just make stealth possible. It should be mainly doing what hammers do best. Its a bit like the way Garret is a thief but can still fight with a sword but reversed. So instead of being a theif that can fight you are a fighter that can sneak if you get what I mean. It would be interesting to see what kind of jobs all the different hammers would do and which one you would be and get things directly from a different perspective rather than reading and overhearing convirsations because I always thought of the hammers as the good guys and Garret as the bad guy.

I always find it odd that people like the hammers.

I guess it's my antipathy towards organised religion.

I always thought the hammers were evil.
    But that's the old pagan hippy in me.

(Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just saying )

Originally Posted by Namdrol
    I always find it odd that people like the hammers.

I guess it's my antipathy towards organised religion.

I always thought the hammers were evil.
    But that's the old pagan hippy in me.

(Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just saying )
    I always liked the hammers because their castles make perfect thief levels, they seem the most human-like faction and rely mostly on logic instead of magic which makes them more human.

They also wield really big hammers like a piece of paper
    Go hammers! \o/
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Both factions are good and evil. Both factions commit crimes and atrocities, but have the flip-side of doing good works for the right reasons. They are two sides of the same coin, and like facing away from each other, denying their commonalities and connections. How many people realize the Pagans wiped out all the people in the Pagan Sanctuary (not the abandoned mines and Hammer factory section). They abducted a child and slaughtered another family, but the whole place used to be another full part of The City, with a marketplace and hotel, streets, homes, apartments, a winery, and all the usual regular City stuff. They subsumed a piece of South Quarter under everyone's noses, sometime in the past. If the Hammerites knew about it, they would've cleaned the Pagans out, and cleaned it up. Now it's crumbling under the might of the vine. I wonder how many of the manfool-cityhead victims they kidnapped and murdered were blamed on the Hag?