Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Stealing Time THIEF Podcast #2 out now - "Building a Hero" - All discussion thread

Stealing Time THIEF Podcast #2 out now - "Building a Hero" - All discussion thread

Thumbs Up Stealing Time THIEF Podcast #2 out now - "Building a Hero" - All discussion thread

Hey guys,

As it's the last Friday of the month, it's time for another 'Stealing Time' podcast. This episode brings you an audio recording of Game Director Nic Cantin and Narrative Director Steven Gallagher's recent "Building A Hero" San Diego Comic Con 2013 panel presentation.

Check out the full details right here: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/b...-2?Theme=thief

Enjoy, have a great weekend everybody!

I really struggled to hear/understand the first questioner/question.... Was that just me?

Any chance of a transcript... of the whole thing? I know, I don't ask much!

....On further listening I think it might be nic I can't hear properly, maybe partly the french accent, partly his mic doesn't sound close enough, or he's a quiet guy, I reeeeally have to listen carefully. btw, not trying to criticise, I just really want to hear what he is saying!

16 minutes in, actually there's parts where I don't catch the odd word by steven, I think it's the quality of the mics, ho hum, I'll just have to give it another listen

I'm not hearing everything clearly either. The audio quality sounds hollow with too much echo. Not sure what happened there.

__

Thanks B1skit. Hope you have a great weekend too.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

From what I am hearing... I find this constant hinting at garrett expressing strong female characteristics interesting, sorta weird but certainly original, so we have a girl who dies who (given what he says in the trailer) he regrets what he did with the claw and it haunts him and now is perhaps expressing an essence of the dead girl within his actions? I'm sure there's some fraudian word for it :-D

"Can I have a hug?".... HAHAHAHAHHA! 8-D

At first I thought that was an odd question, but no, bringing me another installment of my all time favourite game, I'd give 'em a hug too

Reeeally struggled to hear one of the last questioners, american accent, said something about thief 2, then the response is about how "the mechanical stuff in the game is more mystical than that". Really want to know what he asked....

Originally Posted by taff
    From what I am hearing... I find this constant hinting at garrett expressing strong female characteristics interesting, sorta weird but certainly original,...
    They are saying Garrett's stance is based on the principles of ballet, because it's the quickest, most strongest way to move. SG explained, "He has the strength and elegance of the feminine, as opposed to the chest out, legs apart, 'I will save the world' [attitude]. He's not a savior by his own definition."
    signature image

They did it wrong - Garrett stands out of crowd, when in originals - he didn't

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    They are saying Garrett's stance is based on the principles of ballet, because it's the quickest, most strongest way to move. SG explained, "He has the strength and elegance of the feminine, as opposed to the chest out, legs apart, 'I will save the world' [attitude]. He's not a savior by his own definition."
    Fascinating, I'm wondering though if the "reasoning" for it stems from the erin tragedy is he says in the trailers "I have changed" and there's another video where he says something about regret, but I can't find that video.

Originally Posted by janiashvili
    I don't think he's a crowd-y sorta person...

Fascinating, I'm wondering though if the "reasoning" for it stems from the erin tragedy is he says in the trailers "I have changed" and there's another video where he says something about regret, but I can't find that video.
    As I understand it, the reasoning is simply because that is how Garrett would actually move, as a master thief - he would be light and nimble, as opposed to heavy and slow.
    signature image

bleh, reading too much into it

I don't think he's a crowd-y sorta person...
    Well, what I meant was he wasn't much different than any NPC, it was you giving him skills.

Originally Posted by janiashvili
    I think I know another character who stood out in crowds

Wait, did they say "next-gen console world" at the beginning? Can't find it again, but I'm pretty sure they did...

I dunno I've always considered ballet, at least the classic one, to be a really messed up thing (though very beautiful). It's painful, in many ways unnatural and damaging to the dancers. I'm not sure if it is that practical for a thief.
    Now, I don't say that I dislike the way he glides over the floor panels in the trailers, just that I find the reasoning strange.

Also I'm still sad that they went for the mask. I like hooded characters a lot.

bleh, reading too much into it
    No harm done, its part of the fun.

Originally Posted by deadoptimist
    I dunno I've always considered ballet, at least the classic one, to be a really messed up thing (though very beautiful). It's painful, in many ways unnatural and damaging to the dancers. I'm not sure if it is that practical for a thief.
    I wouldn't worry, Garrett is not supposed to be a ballet dancer.

Now, I don't say that I dislike the way he glides over the floor panels in the trailers, just that I find the reasoning strange.
    I find that part mesmerising. There was a similar scene in a graveyard too (concept art). I love it.
    The reasoning is to be as soft and silent on the feet as possible.
    signature image

I haven't had a chance to listen yet (at work), do they answer questions about The City Hub? I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.

Originally Posted by brethren
    I haven't had a chance to listen yet (at work), do they answer questions about The City Hub? I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.
    That's apparently next month's podcast. This one is a recording of their Comicon panel about Garrett
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

I also thought this was going to be the City Hub podcast, but this is noted on the podcast page:
    Community note: For those of you wondering (hi forum regulars!), the next episode of Stealing Time will be focused on the City hub – including the dev team’s answers to your top community questions. Can’t wait to share it with you!

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I also thought this was going to be the City Hub podcast, but this is noted on the podcast page:
    As did I pfftt I wanted to hear about the city hub!

I can't open the podcast.. is there an alternative link except sound cloud? thank you.

So... anyone know if there is a video version of this event?

Originally Posted by dda
    I wanted to hear about the city hub!
    Yeah, not saying I won't hear any new info here, but I'm kind've doubting I will. We've read lots of articles and watched so many videos, interviews and demos at and since E3 that new info would be surprising. So, I haven't listened yet ... tor the above reason, but also because the audio quality was a little rough; I'll have to actively listen (rather than background listen). I'm sure it'll be nice to hear the info straight from the devs once I finally dedicate the time to listen, but being the same type of info we've already heard, for the most part, it's a lowered priority for me. And now another whole month's wait begins for the fresh info we were expecting... .

Originally Posted by kemalpelit
    I can't open the podcast.. is there an alternative link except sound cloud? thank you.
    Originally Posted by TheLootsieLord
    So... anyone know if there is a video version of this event?
    No to both, afaik. Sorry taffers.

kemalpelit, why can't you open the podcast? What error message are you getting?
    signature image

kemalpelit, why can't you open the podcast? What error message are you getting?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

no error messages, it just won't start.. can't download it either I'm in Afghanistan, could it be some sort of an IP problem? everything else works fine though.

I think "Stand out from the crowd" is supposed to mean out of universe not looking like other game characters.

Originally Posted by Triangletooth
    I think "Stand out from the crowd" is supposed to mean out of universe not looking like other game characters.
    ...which is irrelevant because the game is mostly in 1st person.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last