Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last

Thread: "The Bank Heist" Preorder Trailer - All discussion thread

"The Bank Heist" Preorder Trailer - All discussion thread

Thumbs Up "The Bank Heist" Preorder Trailer - All discussion thread

Hey guys, the THIEF "Bank Heist" pre-order trailer is out now:

More details, plus a brand new concept image desktop wallpaper (formatted for both single and dual screens!) is available here:
    http://community.eidosmontreal.com/b...ay?theme=thief

Examine the trailer carefully - What homages to the First City Bank and Trust mission (Thief II) do you recognize in the Stonemarket First Bank?

Thanks for sharing, the mission looks amazing.

I love the way Garrett is hugging that wall in the opening scene there... and he's so close to the Wanted poster with his mugshot on it.

This is a very good preorder incentive trailer, imo.
    It really sets the scene and presents the challenge very well and should attract new interest / new fans to the franchise... and that can only be a good thing.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I'm going to be frank, this is terrible: the very notion that they would split off an entire mission from the game to use as a pre-order incentive. This essentially amounts to allowing the marketing and publishing side interfere with the creative direction of the game.

I'm sorry, but this is not good at all.

Also, is this going to be a side-mission or a main mission? If it's a side-mission of some description, then I suppose it might be acceptable.

This is awful. Voice actor makes me sick.
    Other than that:

Originally Posted by Brethren
    Couldn't resist...

Yeah, loot glint is back.

Originally Posted by DiMarzio
    I just hate it that new game trailers (and not so new either, I'm not sure when this trend really started) try to be like movie trailers. They have just dramatic music, dramatic action clips shot from dramatic camera angles and dramatic one liners said with dramatic whispering voice or dramatic font in dramatic blackness. And you never know what is actual gameplay footage and what is just pre-rendered dramatization. You won't even know if this is first person or third person, action or strategy game, or whether the plot is about an american war hero fighting nazis or a moose trying to cross the road. All you know the game contains epic action sequences, multiple weapons with massive firepower, lots of areas to explore, an immense multiplayer experience, deep characters and tense atmosphere. Or that's at least what you'd expect.

And about the trailer itself: ... hmm, that's basically it. It didn't give me any decent information whatsoever.
    This.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

No release date on when we can play this preorder mission? Looks cool, like the Hitman Absolution sniper preorder. I much prefer this kind of preorder incentives than non-game stuff.

Originally Posted by InDIGnation
    ...the very notion that they would split off an entire mission from the game to use as a pre-order incentive. ....is this going to be a side-mission or a main mission? If it's a side-mission of some description, then I suppose it might be acceptable.
    The Bank Heist is a standalone side mission, completely separate from the main narrative arch. As an homage to one of the most popular Thief 2 missions, it's included as bonus content for those who wish to pre-order.

Originally Posted by Hamadriyad
    Yeah, loot glint is back.
    I actually thought of this when I saw it:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jBnA6Ykon...fcase+open.jpg

But to be clear: this is NOT reflective of gameplay, there is no golden glow actually coming from the vault in the game. This effect was simply added to obscure the view inside the vault and prevent spoilers.

Originally Posted by b1skit
    But to be clear: this is NOT reflective of gameplay, there is no golden glow actually coming from the vault in the game. This effect was simply added to obscure the view inside the vault and prevent spoilers.
    Trailer-exclusive golden glow?! Damn!

Originally Posted by Moeez
    Trailer-exclusive golden glow?! Damn!
    Yep - your bonus, even if you don't plan on pre-ordering

I've got a better idea. Release this as a demo, and then ~ if it's any good ~ I'll think about buying the full game.

Only there was a recent Aliens game that bit a lot of folks excited enough to pre-order.

Not sure how these thing normally work - will there be a specified pre-order time that you need to purchase within the get the bonus content? Or can you just order on the day before release to get it?

Originally Posted by brethren
    Not sure how these thing normally work - will there be a specified pre-order time that you need to purchase within the get the bonus content? Or can you just order on the day before release to get it?
    So long as it's 'pre-ordered' before release, you should qualify - but as always, please confirm with your individual retailer.

I wonder how much the potential gain of doing something like this is offset by the inevitable bad press and backlash it is going to cause. A lot of game players don't like content being arbitrarily removed from a game in order to coerce them into buying it, and those people are going to be very vocal.

I'm fairly neutral about the idea, especially since I'll probably buy the game early in order to pre-load, but for a game that has a bit of an uphill battle ahead of it in terms of getting the media and fans on its side, I'm not sure if this was really a wise choice. I guess we'll see as the news disseminates.

I loved the Bank level in T2, but I never played it to go fast through it and compare times with friends. That feature/benefit doesn't do anything for me. Oh well, the game doesn't really seem to be designed for fans who are like me, specifically.

The lack of colors and washed-out coloring is still making every area lackluster to my eyes (dang you DXHR for inspiring this decision, or at least giving the notion more weight in early meetings). Everywhere looks the same; no variety. Mid-way through the game, I'll probably be craving color.

The voice acting... sigh. Where is SR when you need him

DLC already (and a nicely-sized chunk of game, at that) when so little is known or has been seen about the game? Hmm...

On one hand, the Bank's return sounds like a cool idea, but to have time trials and monotone colors, and have it be DLC, negates the appeal for me. Time trials, specifically, fly in the face of what Thief is about, imo. I never paid attention to how fast I was going in a mission, and never want to. If anything, I only paid attention to how 'long' it took me to beat a level; a subtle, secondary way of measuring and admiring the T1/T2 level sizes.

Originally Posted by jay pettitt
    I've got a better idea. Release this as a demo, and then ~ if it's any good ~ I'll think about buying the full game.
    I like this idea. EM should have enough confidence in their product to let people try before they buy.

Is it the size if the full T2 bank level, or just a small abbreviation of it? There's no indication of level size here to know if pre-ordering is worth it. Are we talking 20 minutes in size at a stealth pace, or a couple hours+? And no, the camera shot from in front of the Bank doesn't tell me.

Oh, look at the video thumbnail. The master thief who nobody believes even exists, who hasn't even existed for a whole year, has a wanted poster immediately after returning unseen. Is Garrett putting up those posters himself or what is going on? It's pretty dumb that the game supposedly supports playing super stealthy, never being seen at all, but the story mandates that it's not the case.

You know, if you played Dishonored totally unseen, the wanted posters were actually depicted accordingly. A blank face with a question mark, and no name.

I have some questions...

Why is every location looking the same, whether you're inside or outside in this game? The same blue tinted fog everywhere, barely remodelled establishments, identical guard skins, etc... Was this not supposed to be a next-gen title? This is the third or fourth trailer ffs, is there really nothing else to your game?

Moving on, why is the voice actor getting worse and worse the closer we get to release? Even more depressing, why is your writing equivalent to my spontaneous Thief FM walkthroughs commentary? "I'm in", "Here we go", next we'll hear "Thank for watching bros, like and subscribe!"

signature image

Incredibly mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, this isn't like the "Explosive Mission Pack" which removed a genuinely significant chunk of the main storyline. So yay for that. Also, I do like the idea of a mission devoted exclusively to honing one's skills. Sort of a thief's playground separate from the main narrative. I can dig on that awhile.

On the other hand, they couldn't have made this look more generic if they'd tried. I've avoided making this comparison before, but this really does look like it could come straight out of Dishonored. There's very little in this trailer, gameplay-wise, that would let me know it's a Thief game, and not a robbery-oriented adventure for Corvo. Then again, there's very little in this trailer gameplay-wise, period.

Finally, I have yet to be sold on Romano, and this trailer does nothing to help. Maybe it's not entirely fair, but I keep hearing in my head the way SR would have said these lines, and I really do want that instead. He was distinctive. Romano isn't. Here's hoping the full game gives him more leeway to craft a character than PR trailers.

Also, security cameras are back! I wonder if those are in the rest of the game too, or if it's just in the Bank as a nod to T2.

I'm not exactly sure what the "homage" part is all about - it's a bank. There's not a lot to go on in the video, but the lobby does look similar to First City Bank and Trust. Is that the homage?

The title is really bland. It should have been something like "The Stonemarket Bank Job" or "The Priceless Opal of Auldale" or something unique to the (new) Thief world.

It's funny, offering pre-order content is pretty much the direct opposite of having a demo. A demo let's you check out the game before you purchase. A pre-order forces you to spend money before you can even read any reviews or community responses or feedback. I always assumed games with pre-order offers had something to hide and were hoping the lure of extra content would sucker you into buying their product before any negative info is available.

@Pillowman - where are the cameras? I didn't see anything like that.

At 0:39-:042, in the upper left corner, then on the right.

The blurb on the blog suggests they'll only be in this mission, though, which is a relief. I always feel like security cameras are a bit of a cop-out as a stealth challenge. I much prefer a "live" opponent.

From the blog:
    "Before you can get the shiny, though, you'll have to outsmart platoons of guards and defy a number of advanced security measures found only in this level."

I'm not exactly sure what the "homage" part is all about - it's a bank. There's not a lot to go on in the video, but the lobby does look similar to First City Bank and Trust. Is that the homage?

The title is really bland. It should have been something like "The Stonemarket Bank Job" or "The Priceless Opal of Auldale" or something unique to the (new) Thief world.

It's funny, offering pre-order content is pretty much the direct opposite of having a demo. A demo let's you check out the game before you purchase. A pre-order forces you to spend money before you can even read any reviews or community responses or feedback. I always assumed games with pre-order offers had something to hide and were hoping the lure of extra content would sucker you into buying their product before any negative info is available.

I think it's more about the announcement than the actual content of the mission. In my opinion, they're just fishing for old fans who are still desperate to validate a purchase. What this announcement really tells me though, is that the actual game is so far removed from anything Thief, that they had to cut or forge (doesn't really matter) an extra level, and make it look like an old classic. This won't mean anything to new fans, and it's my sincere hope that old fans know better.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pillowman
    From the blog:
    "Before you can get the shiny, though, you'll have to outsmart platoons of guards and defy a number of advanced security measures found only in this level."
    Excellent. I like a good challenge!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

It gave few, but very important gameplay clues actually.
    First - the game will feature cameras. Second - as it seems garret will speak the same way as Fisher spoke with HQ(reporting hereins and herouts of everything, as if he wears microphone)

This whole thing makes it very hard to defend this game, EM. You know a bank heist is something we'd love to do, so what do you do? Make it a pre-order incentive, and then paid DLC. This whole thing stinks to the builder's halls.

Looks like security cameras are actually unique to this world. (I said before they looked generic; but I've since seen a clearer view of them in the screenshots thread.) A slight steampunkish design twist or something on the lens housing part makes them unique. Or maybe they seem mechanist-y; can't put my finger on it.

And yes, they've also indicated for the main game before that dogs and such (i.e., birds) are the new security systems. No anthropomorphic or anachronistic cams.

Originally Posted by Buccura
    You know a bank heist is something we'd love to do, so what do you do? Make it a pre-order incentive, and then paid DLC. This whole thing stinks to the builder's halls.
    And tout the time trial/friend competition aspect, to boot...?

The game is going counter to virtually everything I was hoping the game would be at its core. Everything I was looking for is either not there, a disabled option, hidden in the lore, or overwritten by weird new logic/mechanics. It's an adjustment period for me, to say the least.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last