Thread: Warner Brothers buys Rocksteady

Warner Brothers buys Rocksteady

Warner Brothers buys Rocksteady

I am Edward Nigma, the World's Greatest Detective!

Warner Bros. Buys Stake In Rocksteady

Today, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced it has brought a majority stake in British, independent video-game developer Rocksteady Studio.

The California-headquartered Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group has bought a majority share in the Batman Arkham Asylum developer Rocksteady Studios.

Publisher Eidos had previously acquired a twenty five per cent stake in the developer, though Warner Bros.' majority share buyout is separate from this. It means that Warner Bros.' new stake will be of at least 37 per cent equity.

Studio director Jamie Walker said the group is “proud to strengthen our association with WBIE, a world class publisher that we have enjoyed working with since we began developing Batman: Arkham Asylum.”
    Source: http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...-in-Rocksteady

However, Square Enix Europe (previously known as Eidos Interactive) was quick to claim that it still holds a 21.5% stake in Rocksteady Studios and will continue to be represented on Rocksteady's Board of directors:

Following the news that Warner Bros had acquired a majority stake in Batman Arkham Asylum developer Rocksteady Studios, Eidos has revealed it still owns 25.1 per cent of the group.

In a statement sent to Develop by Square Enix Europe, the group said: “We, as founder investors, have worked closely with Rocksteady since the studio was originally formed in 2004.

“Our collaboration with Rocksteady and Warner Bros. has produced a hugely successful game in Batman: Arkham Asylum. We retain our 25.1% stake in Rocksteady and will continue to be represented on the board of directors of the company.”

Contrary to some news reports this does not mean Warner Bros. fully owns Rocksteady Studios.

Man, I recently deactivated my facebook account because it would also distract me from my school work and priorities.

Someone mind telling me what I'm missing?

It does, however, make Rocksteady being the main producer of future DC games very likely.
    "Think of it Batman, to never again walk on a summer's day with a hot wind on your face and a warm hand to hold. Ohhh yes... I'd kill for that." ---- Mr. Freeze.

Originally Posted by angleslam99
    Man, I recently deactivated my facebook account because it would also distract me from my school work and priorities.

Someone mind telling me what I'm missing?
    I merged the threads, enjoy the read. ^^;

Warner Bros. Buys Rocksteady

I didn't notice this thread, so I decided to make a post. Just read on IGN that Warner Bros. has purchased Rocksteady opening up the whole DC Universe to them. What is everybody's thoughts on this?
    XBOX 360 Gamer Tag:
    http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Stargate21.png

sweet hope they make other superhero games including some more BATMAN!
    XBL: DeviantART:
    knightbmb http://knightbmb.deviantart.com/

Warner Bros is the best.
    Happiness is an illusion. Suffering is real.

YES
    l

Does this mean MK vs DC 2 wont suck???
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

sure hope not. Mortal Kombat vs DC gave me a chance to finally play my favorite character. which is awesome.
    Happiness is an illusion. Suffering is real.

Is it just me or does the whole majority shareholder thing remind you guys of the end of Batman Begins?
    signature image

Awesome this definitely means one thing for the sequel...

More Costumes!!!!!

Just give Rocksteady the space and time they need to make a great sequel. Hmmm does this mean Nolan and Rocksteady might eventually run into each other?
    Beware of the Knight.

God, I hope so... Just applied for an animator job their. Wish me luck!
    "I make art until someone dies."
    http://stoobytoons.deviantart.com/

Originally Posted by Rareless09
    Awesome this definitely means one thing for the sequel...

More Costumes!!!!!
    I don't wanna sound like a party pooper but this has nothing about the costumes. Making more costumes from a team that has less than 150 workers doing hard work on more.. well to say more important things you just can't have enough time for something such as costumes. Yes i know they could simply do re-colored textures but if you really wanna do a good darn job, then you'd need to change the costume more than repainting it. Know what i'm saying? Ofcourse this is not me telling you that extra costumes won't be in BAA sequel, i'm just saying the publisher or owner had no effect on BAA's variety (or lack of, really) of costumes.

Originally Posted by stoobytoons
    God, I hope so... Just applied for an animator job their. Wish me luck!
    Best of luck to you Stooby!

Originally Posted by Batman The Sequel Hunter
    Does this mean MK vs DC 2 wont suck???
    The first one had so much potential.

I only pray that if a sequel appears, they'll include more characters and make the finishing moves actually cool (without the "Heroic" in Brutality).

Originally Posted by knightbmb
    sweet hope they make other superhero games including some more BATMAN!
    A Green Arrow game from Rocksteady would be awesome!

Originally Posted by dark_angel_7
    However, Square Enix Europe (previously known as Eidos Interactive) was quick to claim that it still holds a 21.5% stake in Rocksteady Studios and will continue to be represented on Rocksteady's Board of directors.

Contrary to some news reports this does not mean Warner Bros. fully owns Rocksteady Studios.
    Just had to quote and emphasise my own post. as far as I understand, Warner Bros. doesn't own Rocksteady outright, its just brought a majority stake in the company. Square Enix Europe owns the second largest stake in the company.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    I merged the threads, enjoy the read. ^^;
    Thank you.

20% isnt that much, Square enix probably will sell soon anyway.
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

Originally Posted by vicsage
    A Green Arrow game from Rocksteady would be awesome!
    A Batman/Spawn game would be awesomer!
    PSN ID: taurus82 / Twitter: 17taurus82 / YouTube: taurus170582

Nothing will change. It's similar to Disney buying out Marvel.

Originally Posted by freeze131
    Nothing will change. It's similar to Disney buying out Marvel.
    Well, DC buying Marvel didn't change much because both companies already have their own franchises that are wholly separate and wouldn't change much. However, on the other hand, ever notice that Marvel cartoons are now shown exclusively on the Disney channel?

It's the same thing here: games developed my Warner Brothers' companies/franchises would probably be more likely to b produced by Rocksteady, especially DC games, and it's less likely that Rocksteady would make games for other companies. It's like how Microsoft teamed up with Rare and got exclusivity on Rare games.
    "Think of it Batman, to never again walk on a summer's day with a hot wind on your face and a warm hand to hold. Ohhh yes... I'd kill for that." ---- Mr. Freeze.