Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Lara's Psychology

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542

    Lara's Psychology

    I just watched the newest video from Extra Creditz, perhaps my favorite gaming discussion channel because of their insightful examinations on various topics of the medium.

    We always like to discuss and debate the personality of our beloved icon, Lara. Not just an action star, we love to delve into what we believe to be the inner working of Lara, that's been encompassed in how we see her virtues and flaws, the essence of what makes her tick, her personal and social life, her drives and motives, why she kills, why she pushes herself.. well you get the idea

    This latest entry looked at a formula created in the 40's (refined all the way to the 60's) that is a often a writers means of constructing the psychology of their characters and being a framework for how they would act and react in various situations.

    It's predicated on 4 dichotomous principles, each in an A vs B balancing dynamic. It is emphasized that while people posses certain proficiencies and predispositions towards one side of each coin, it's not impossible to operate on the other, just with greater difficulty.

    So the 4 psychological principles are;

    Introversion vs Extroversion
    Sensing vs Intuition
    Thinking vs Feeling
    Judging vs Perceiving


    Now rather than waste text space explaining the 4 traits here, better to just watch the video that explains it better than I can here. It goes without saying, I couldn't help but try and place how I think Lara fits in this framework, and from there how she operates on a subconcious level that can help better understand what drives her personality.

    My own estimate would be that Lara is; Introverted, Intuition driven, Thinker, and Perceiving.

    But after watching the clip, what do you think are the building blocks of Lara's inner workings?

    signature image

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    what do you think are the building blocks of Lara's inner workings?
    Ummmm.....her boobs.



    (just kidding)


    <--------
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    mar-toooooooooooooooook!!!

    signature image

  4. #4
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    But after watching the clip, what do you think are the building blocks of Lara's inner workings?
    That's an easy one. I feel this picture describes her best:



    So introvert, intuition (only because of her survival sense superpower), thinker, and judging.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    So the 4 psychological principles are;

    Introversion vs Extroversion
    Sensing vs Intuition
    Thinking vs Feeling
    Judging vs Perceiving
    I think the Introversion vs Extroversion comparison is the most difficult as she has the independence, preference for isolation rather than teamwork (even when could work with as a team in 2013) and hobbies like reading. Her persona and actions contradict that totally. She goes out in outfits which project attitude and body confidence, performs crazy stunts and confronts enemies head on. CD have tried to move her more towards introversion. As strongly introvert myself I love it when Lara is the total opposite and it's more a thrill will she shows strong extroversion.

    She is strongly towards using her instincts to react to problems and the way she responds to friends and enemies in a quite calculating puts her as strongly thinking rather than sensing. Her flexibility in dealing with situations would make her perceiving.

    I would say Lara shows both Introversion and Extroversion, Intuition, Thinking, Perceiving

  7. #7
    (like Freud) I sink zat Lara exzhibits a sociopassic, shkitzophrenic desire to reconnect vit her long dead moother, and restrainzh a strange zexual desire vor her fahzer zat is oonbridled ven given cause vor release, und zhe takes zeez desires und agressions out upon ze hapless men whom zhe encounters on a frekvent und hostile basis. Zhe rarely plays vell vit udders, und owns a manions, und a yacht. Zis dichotomy zuggests a duality zat vould give Carl Jung a field day, und a heart attack at ze shame time.

    But zen, zometimes it vould sheem zat Lara needs to zimply remember zat zometimes a zigar is yust a zigar.

    For more oof mein zychological vacts und series, please read mein book: Zometimes A Bong Is Just A Bong.

    You may vind it mosht enlightening.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  8. #8
    i believe she would be more of an extrovert than and introvert. she does too much traveling to be an introvert, i know this because i am one lol.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1t3Kn1te View Post
    i believe she would be more of an extrovert than and introvert. she does too much traveling to be an introvert, i know this because i am one lol.
    Lara's extrovert friend makes her do that stuff.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Jedi View Post
    Lara's extrovert friend makes her do that stuff.
    i can relate to that, my wife (who is an extrovert) makes me go to all sorts of paces and do stuff i would never have done without her influence. lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    I think the Introversion vs Extroversion comparison is the most difficult as she has the independence, preference for isolation rather than teamwork (even when could work with as a team in 2013) and hobbies like reading. Her persona and actions contradict that totally. She goes out in outfits which project attitude and body confidence, performs crazy stunts and confronts enemies head on. CD have tried to move her more towards introversion. As strongly introvert myself I love it when Lara is the total opposite and it's more a thrill will she shows strong extroversion.

    She is strongly towards using her instincts to react to problems and the way she responds to friends and enemies in a quite calculating puts her as strongly thinking rather than sensing. Her flexibility in dealing with situations would make her perceiving.

    I would say Lara shows both Introversion and Extroversion, Intuition, Thinking, Perceiving
    I see a few flaws in your analysis of the introvert/extrovert personality dynamic.

    First, it's not really about confidence. A person can be confident in their athletic, academic, or other professional abilities and still be an introvert. The intro/extro trait is all about social aptitude, and what they most feel comfortable with.

    You're also using external examples that don't reflect the individual preference. When Lara is on an expedition, she isn't going out looking for a fight. But when confronted by hostile forces, Lara isn't fighting them because she wants to, but because she is left with no other choice and has to. If she didn't encounter them or they didn't threaten to intervene with her quest objective, her journey would be more peaceful.

    If you observed the video more carefully, you'd see the intro/extro dynamic (same as with the other 3) is all about the individuals self determined prerogatives, just that natural inclination to which they are most comfortable with and in which they thrive.

    This also goes to say that a person can operate on the opposite spectrum of the trait, just with more difficulty. It's kind of funny, but my own fanfiction fit the profile before I ever heard of the Meyer Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

    When Lara goes to the Halloween party, the way I depict her she doesn't go out of her way to meet new people and generally mingle. Instead she sticks with the familiar faces and keeps to her comfort zone, Sam, Reyes, and Jonah. She does have a brief conversation with one of the party patrons, but that's because he approached her trying to pick her up. It wasn't Lara's initiative, nor did she make any effort to evade him. Just went with the flow until he realized he wasn't scoring, heh

    Finally, the part about her outfits and outward appearance. Yes they are bold and do display body confidence. BUT, we still have to examine the underlying reason. Here's the thing, and it's been pretty unanimously agreed on this, but no matter how daring her ensemble Lara isn't doing it to impress anyone. She's not driven by ego or vanity. She pretty much does it for herself, so it's really about what makes her feel good for her own self image, not the approval of her image by peers or anyone else. In that regard her fashion statement hs no extrovert bearing.
    signature image

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1t3Kn1te View Post
    i believe she would be more of an extrovert than and introvert. she does too much traveling to be an introvert, i know this because i am one lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Jedi View Post
    Lara's extrovert friend makes her do that stuff.
    I disagree with both of you.

    Seems to me that it's Lara's passion for archeology and adventure (which runs in her family) that makes her do all that traveling, rather than either a very extravert personality or a very introvert personality and needing extravert friends pushing her into it.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •