Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Windows 7 and BAA...

Windows 7 and BAA...

Windows 7 and BAA...

Hello:

I preordered Windows 7 and should be getting it soon. I have the game working well enough on Vista. I am going along in the story well enough but since I am hearing all
    these problems others are having with the game I consider myself fortunate. I won't
    press my fortune by installing Windows 7 yet. I'll finish the game first then install it to
    avoid messing up any game settings.

Al...

Originally Posted by al-x
    Hello:

I preordered Windows 7 and should be getting it soon. I have the game working well enough on Vista. I am going along in the story well enough but since I am hearing all
    these problems others are having with the game I consider myself fortunate. I won't
    press my fortune by installing Windows 7 yet. I'll finish the game first then install it to
    avoid messing up any game settings.

Al...

why do we need to be informed?

And I don't get your concern, there are many of us playing the game perfectly well on Windows 7?

I've played through game on Windows 7 without any issue at all
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Windows 7 works great with BAA!

The same. I have Win7 RC installed. BAA works perfect.

Originally Posted by Scarn
    why do we need to be informed?
    Oh, I meant to ask around the forum if anyone made the upgrade and had problems
    with the game...

Al...

I upgraded to Win 7 RTM from Win 7 RC - I did a full install, not an upgrade. I backed up my saved game folder. After Installing Win 7 I installed Batman and copied my saved games over. Reinstalling GFWL asked me to re-enter my BAA key code which I did and it accepted, but it created another Save game folder. I copied my saved games into the new save game folder and it says they are corrupt. BE VERY WEARY if you are doing a clean install of Win 7. I would be surprised if you can get your saved games working on it.

Originally Posted by SLowrAM
    I upgraded to Win 7 RTM from Win 7 RC - I did a full install, not an upgrade. I backed up my saved game folder. After Installing Win 7 I installed Batman and copied my saved games over. Reinstalling GFWL asked me to re-enter my BAA key code which I did and it accepted, but it created another Save game folder. I copied my saved games into the new save game folder and it says they are corrupt. BE VERY WEARY if you are doing a clean install of Win 7. I would be surprised if you can get your saved games working on it.
    SLowrAM, think you should also make it clear that it's not an issue due to Windows 7 itself. It's a known issue with Games for Windows Live. Since they encrypt your saved games, your saved game files are not likely to work in a new environment. Most cases I've seen is when they move to a new system, but I suppose from your case it means that it happens so long you reformat or reinstall Windows. I'm not too sure if it happens too for direct upgrades. If GfWL sees the upgraded Windows as a "different" system, the same issue would likely occur. That said, it probably would occur with any version of Windows, and not just Win7.

darkwoof that is right the game works great on Win 7 (for me x64 with Nvidia). Yep same hardware, not 1 new piece of hardware added in between the reinstall - however I had added a new video card from when I initially installed GFWL.on old system. However that new video card was installed before playing BAA on old system.
    So I suspect it is the act of installing a new OS causes the issue, no hardware changes necessary. I sure hope MS gets slammed with GFWL complaints over this next week as people upgrade to Win 7 (which is a great OS btw). Maybe they will, if not fixing the problem for past users, have a solution so future GFWL games don't have this issue. Soo many people aren't going to have read threads like this till it happens to them and they search on the topic, going to be a lot of pissed of Win 7 gaming upgraders very soon.

I was just thinking on this and I didn't run into this issue with Fallout 3. I had played Fallout 3 which uses GFWL on XP. I then went back to it on Win 7 RC and got all the DLC and played thru them and had no problem loading my last saved game where I had won/finished the original (pre DLC) version of the game. I had installed Win 7 RC on a new (additional) hard drive in case it didn't work well and I wanted/needed to go back to XP so it was a new install not an in place upgrade of the OS.
    Maybe this is a BAA issue not just a GFWL issue. Seems odd Fallout 3 could handle an OS change, but BAA can't. The Fallout 3 OS change was from XP to Win 7 RC, whereas the BAA OS change was from Win 7 RC to Win 7 RTM.

I'll probably upgrade to Win7 (but not right away). I've decided that when I do that I'm going to wipe my computer and start with a fresh install.

What do I need to do to transfer my saved games? If I simply back up the save game files and plop them back in the folder after I've reinstalled B:AA, will that do the trick?

I'm not sure how a XP to Windows 7 is converted over, but I converted over my Vista 64 over to Win7 Ultimate 64 after messing around with it, as I refused to let go of the fact that it couldn't be done. I'm sure with the XP version you'll need to find all the other similar files and copy them over to the right locations, but I don't think it'll quite work given it might be installed completely different from XP to Windows Vista / Windows 7.

This is what I did from Windows Vista 64 to Windows 7 64:
    1. Install the game, login and patch the game, make sure it's completely up to date the way you had it before.

2. Under C:\Users\YourProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft
    Copy the following folders GFWLive and XLIVE you'll need to copy those over to the same location on the Windows 7 drive, make backups of the originals just in case.

3. Under C:\Users\YourPofile\Documents\
    Copy the Eidos folder and copy it back to the same location on the Windows 7 drive, make a back up if you want, otherwise if you delete it, it'll regenerate but you'll need to redo your configurations again.

4. Start the game, you'll need to re-enter you CD-KEY, but your saved games will now be available once again.

I have Windows 7 and the game works perfect...

Yea BAA works in Windows 7 perfectly, it's just trying to retrieve your saved games from an upgrade or loading them from a backup won't work. But with my instructions posted above I got my saved games working from a Vista 64 to Win7 upgrade.

As it happens, I'm currently finding B:AA impossible to play on Windows 7 with the XBox 360 wireless controller. Once I'm in an actual gameplay area, the game decides I'm spamming the Guide button or Right Trigger, with the obvious results.

My email to Eidos was met with a "we don't support Windows 7" brushoff. Given the fact that MSDN subscribers had access to the RTM build of Windows 7 over a month before Arkham Asylum was released for PC, that is not a statement that fills me with any sort of confidence as to their willingness to offer support for games more than two weeks old.

Originally Posted by Crazy Street Bum
    As it happens, I'm currently finding B:AA impossible to play on Windows 7 with the XBox 360 wireless controller. Once I'm in an actual gameplay area, the game decides I'm spamming the Guide button or Right Trigger, with the obvious results.

My email to Eidos was met with a "we don't support Windows 7" brushoff. Given the fact that MSDN subscribers had access to the RTM build of Windows 7 over a month before Arkham Asylum was released for PC, that is not a statement that fills me with any sort of confidence as to their willingness to offer support for games more than two weeks old.
    That's odd, might be a driver issue. But my WIRED XBOX360 controller works just fine, even though Windows Update shows there's an optional update driver for it. Check for an update through Windows Update? there might be an updated driver for the wireless controller.

I updated a few days ago to Win 7. I have to say I am really happy with the results. the Game is much faster and smoother.

Originally Posted by InnervateD
    That's odd, might be a driver issue. But my WIRED XBOX360 controller works just fine, even though Windows Update shows there's an optional update driver for it. Check for an update through Windows Update? there might be an updated driver for the wireless controller.
    That was my first idea. No updates to be found, and besides, the controller works perfectly in every other game I've used it in (including Fallout 3, which also uses the GFW Live runtime).

That was my first idea. No updates to be found, and besides, the controller works perfectly in every other game I've used it in (including Fallout 3, which also uses the GFW Live runtime).
    Is it a real 360 controller or a generic clone for the 360?

Originally Posted by Inzane
    Is it a real 360 controller or a generic clone for the 360?
    It's the real thing.

you could try using an xbox 360 emulator and calibrating it in there. some emu's may not work on 64 bit systems though.

Originally Posted by deders
    you could try using an xbox 360 emulator and calibrating it in there. some emu's may not work on 64 bit systems though.
    Not only am I fairly certain there aren't any working 360 emulators yet, but as I said earlier...

the controller works perfectly in every other game I've used it in (including Fallout 3, which also uses the GFW Live runtime).

Not only am I fairly certain there aren't any working 360 emulators yet, but as I said earlier...
    I mean a 360 pad emulator, it's ironic that you should have to do so, but it might work.

A complete shot in the dark - but is there any chance that something might be interfering with the connection? Low battery, a microwave, orbital mind control satellites?

When you say spamming, what exactly do you mean? Does the game behave as though you're holding the button down, or tapping it repeatedly? Does actually pressing and releasing the button make a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last